OK, so everyone and their Grandmother have asked me for this again this year, so I’ll post my turkey recipe from last year. This is an amazing technique because it a) gives you great flavor & crispy skin, while b) keeps the turkey very moist even with 1.5 hours cook time!
JOHN’S EVIL TURKEY:
- Spatchcock your 10-14 lb. turkey – I will never do another way again
- Place sliced celery, carrot, onion, fresh thyme and 2-3 bay leaf at the bottom of a sheet pan, then place a metal baking rack on top of that.
- Spread out your spatchcocked turkey on the metal rack and cover it with 2 lb of thick-cut bacon (see picture).
- Bake it for 1 hour at 450, then take off the bacon and go another 30 minutes (you can reduce the oven temp to 425 if you’re worried about burning the skin). Let it rest, tented with foil, 15-30 minutes after cooking (make your gravy with the drippings while resting), then process the meat and serve.
- Shield yourself from the deluge of your amazed, adoring guests. ;-p
Don’t add salt to the gravy (or the turkey) before tasting it first – the bacon drippings will add enough of it.