Everyone loves chili, especially as it gets colder. This is an evolving recipe that is the basis for a “chili bar” – a party favorite in which people can assemble their own chili bowl. I put a few ingredients around the completed crock pot: finely shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream, chives, onions, and the foundation: Fritos. Regular or Scoops work equally well.
- 2 pounds ground chuck 80/20
- 2 medium sweet onions, medium diced
- 1 green or orange bell pepper, medium diced
- 10-12 baby carrots (or 4 carrots), sliced into 2mm slices
- 1 28 oz. can of crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup of beef broth
- 1 can diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 cans black beans, 1 can red kidney beans, and 1 can cannellini beans, with fluid
- 2 tablespoons each of chili powder and cumin
- 1 tablespoon each of curry powder and sugar
- 1 teaspoon each of thyme, oregano, and course black pepper
- 4 bay leaves, 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper, and 2 tablespoons salt
Brown the meat & onions and drain, lightly sauté the veggies, and add these into a large crock pot with all canned goods and spices. Cook on high for 4 hours, then low for 2 hours. Done!